Your home offers a haven for your family: a strong, reliable structure to protect your loved ones from the harsh weather conditions outside. Having a roof overhead keeps you safe from the harsh sun, strong winds, freezing snow, and more. Taking care of your roof is essential, and it takes a bit of maintenance and care to manage the wear and tear that can occur over time.
Even if your home is built with high-quality materials, eventually wear and tear can take a toll. The roof is a great example: it acts as the first protection against weather conditions. But eventually, the shingles can start to deteriorate over the years.
What Causes Shingle Deterioration?
There are a variety of reasons why your shingles can start deteriorating. Some of the underlying causes include:
- Intense winds
- Excessive sunlight
- Poor ventilation in the attic
- Ice, Hail, and Snow
- Nearby shrubbery or trees
- Moss or algae
Signs That Your Shingles Are Deteriorating
You don’t have to be a roofing expert to identify signs that your shingles are deteriorating. Take a look at your roof and the inside of your attic, and you might notice a few warning signs that your roof needs to be repaired or replaced due to deteriorating shingles:
- Light in the Attic: Go into the attic during the day, keep the interior lights off, and see if you can notice any sunlight peeking through. If you can see the sunlight in your attic through small cracks or gaps, then it is a sign that the shingles are damaged.
- Flashing Damage: Your roof is lined with flashing under the shingles, which acts as a protective layer to prevent water from seeping through. This metal sheeting can start to break down over time. If you can see that the flashing is damaged, then it’s essential to seek roofing repair services as soon as possible.
- Rotting Shingles: You can see a visible change in the appearance of the shingles when they start rotting. The shingles will start curling at the edges, tearing, and/or crumbling. Rotting shingles are starting to break down, which means they no longer offer the protection necessary for your home.
- Missing Shingles: As the shingles start to break apart due to rot, some of them will fall off completely. One big warning sign that you need roofing repair services is if there are missing shingles. Not only should you look at the roof to see if shingles are gone, but you will also find shingles on the ground below.
- Blistering Shingles: Do your shingles look like they are bubbling out? This blistering effect can occur due to excess gas or moisture, and the problem gets worse under extreme sun exposure. Good shingles have a flat and consistent appearance. Damaged shingles start to warp and change in shape and color.
The longer you wait to repair the roof, the worse the damage is going to be. Not only will the roof continue deteriorating, but it can also result in leaking issues that leads to water damage, mold, and other serious problems.
Black Streaks on the Roof: What You Need to Know
Can you see that black streaks are starting to show up on your roof? This issue is quite common and it indicates a serious problem that needs to be addressed: usually algae, mold, or mildew. Even though these issues might seem mild, they can lead to serious damage to the roof if you aren’t proactive about cleaning the roof and treating the problem.
Most of the time, black streaks are caused by algae, usually a variety known as Gloeocapsa magma. These algae grow on asphalt roofs because it feeds on the limestone in the asphalt shingles. The longer the algae are present, the weaker your shingles will be due to the breakdown over time.
Keep in mind that algae issues will continue to progress when left untreated. Not only will it look more noticeable, but the presence of algae can cause even more damage in the future. It traps in moisture and results in premature aging of the shingles.
Cleaning The Roof to Prevent Damage
The best thing that you can do to protect your roof is to be proactive about inspections, cleaning, and maintenance. Mark your calendar once a year to remind yourself to check the roofing and shingles. If you see any signs of wear and tear, then it’s essential to call a roofing expert right away. Also, consider the benefits of scheduling an inspection from a professional roofing company since the experts will be able to identify signs that you might overlook.
When algae need to be removed, shingles need replacement, or other issues should be addressed, it’s always best to call the experts for help. Even though DIY seems like a feasible option, the truth is that you could end up causing even more damage to your roof in the long run. If you don’t have the right knowledge or skills, then it could result in higher repair costs in the future due to the damage.
Calling the roofing experts ensures that you are protecting your home and investment. At the same time, you are protecting yourself by avoiding the risk of a serious fall. A roofing company will bring the proper safety equipment and tools to clean your shingles and fix any areas that need to be repaired.
Does Your Roof Need Cleaning or Repair?
If you suspect that your roof is having issues, then it’s important to call for professional services right away. Delaying these roofing maintenance services can be a big mistake, especially if the roof is leaking and the shingles are starting to deteriorate. A little bit of maintenance right now can go a long way to save you money and stress in the future.
Are you looking for home improvement and construction services in Menomonee Falls, WI? Our expert team is here to assist with anything that you need! Reach out to us at Better View Home Improvements to learn more about available services. Contact us at your convenience to book a consultation: (262) 415-7011.